JWB Family Law Continues to Serve Clients During COVID-19

Family Law

Heightened anxiety and uncertainty in the world often result in significant family distress, including a surge in domestic violence incidents.

As a family law practice, we need to show up for our clients now more than ever. For that reason, JWB Family Law is operating under the same business hours as usual.

We are available to our clients by phone, by Zoom, if necessary, in person. We are following CDC guidelines to maintain a healthy and safe work environment and we hope you are doing the same.

COVID-19 and Family Law: Frequently Asked Questions

These questions and answers are based on the most current information as of 5/4/2020 and are subject to change daily as the Court makes decisions about procedural methods during the COVID –19 closure. Please check frequently for updates.

Q: How is COVID affecting the legal system broadly?

A: According to this week’s State of the Court Address, the San Diego Superior Court has 63,000 matters with hearings that need to be rescheduled due to COVID closure. 

The Court is extremely impacted due to the Court’s closure, and rescheduling the backlog of hearings will take months, resulting in delays for the resolution of most San Diego cases. It is unknown when trials will be re-calendared. 

The courts are coping with how to open under county and CDC guidelines, in addition to implementing safety protocols that ensure the safety of their staff and the public as court access increases. Once the courts fully re-open, there will be a surge of filings, service, and emergency hearings.

Q: Can I schedule a consultation with JWB Family Law remotely? 

A: Yes, absolutely. JWB Family Law prioritizes the health and safety of its employees and clients by offering remote consultations via Zoom, Microsoft Teams and traditional phone calls. The work we do at JWB Family Law is essential, and we are committed to being available for our clients when they need us most, while complying with State and Federal COVID-19 regulations.  

Q: Can I get a restraining order with The Courts closed?

A: During quarantine, people have been exposed to violence, harassment, verbal, mental, and physical abuse from spouses and partners. Quarantine has heightened both new and ongoing occurrences of domestic violence at home. If children are present during these incidences, the abused party should immediately contact an experienced family law attorney to file for a DVTRO.

Q: How do I get a restraining order when the Court is closed?

A: Contact a family law attorney ASAP, for assistance with the filing of your DVTRO request. The attorney will ensure the pleadings are appropriately filed at the Courthouse. The judge will read the pleading and deliver an order on the DVTRO without a hearing in Court.  A decision to deny or grant your request for DVTRO will be made the same day the pleadings are submitted. Your counsel or the Courthouse will advise you of the judgment.

Q: Can I file for divorce while the Courts are closed?

A: No. Documents cannot be filed with the Court during the closure. You can prepare all documents and get the non-conformed copies served on the party and file them once the courts reopen. It ‘s beneficial to retain an attorney now to complete the initial divorce paperwork, which saves you time and expedites the divorce process.

Q: What happens to my court hearing that was canceled due to court closure?

A: The courts will likely re-open on May 26, 2020. Still, they will be opening on a triage basis, meaning domestic violence and emergency hearings will be calendared before the backlog of other previously scheduled hearings.

You or your attorney will likely receive a Notice of Hearing from the Court providing your new hearing date. It is still unknown if the Court will be posting the ten-week calendar on their website. Check the Court calendar website frequently for the most up-to-date information regarding re-calendared hearing dates. 

Q: How do I file new paperwork while the Courts are closed?

A: There are no filings allowed while the Court is closed. Use this time for document filing preparation. If you have documents that need filing or the file dates have passed while the Courts were closed, you must take your documents down to the Court on May 26, 2020, for filing.

Q: Will I be penalized for missing a filing date during the Court closure?

A: No. All closure days are considered a Court holiday. The Court will entertain no penalties for late filing and service. The Court is encouraging party litigants and their attorneys to recognize the extraordinary events and be civil regarding deadlines and discovery production.

Q: How will Court hearings be conducted?

A: Once opened, the Court will only be conducting video and audio hearings. The Court will use Microsoft Teams software for video attendance and “Court Call” for audio attendance. You can find a link to Microsoft teams here and a link to Court Call here.  

Q: How do I get my child or spousal support modified while the Courts are closed?

A:  Prepare your support modification request immediately. Once the request is complete, serve the other party with the pleadings. Prepare a proof of service of the pleadings even if you served them via a confirmed email. File your pleadings with the proof of service the day the Court opens. If your request for modification is related to a COVID-19 lay-off or furlough, make sure to address it in your pleadings. Ask the Court to order support retroactive to the date you served the non-conformed pleadings. Currently, we do not know how the Court will address support modifications and retroactivity.

Take good care of yourself and your family––and know that we are here to support you.

Is Domestic Violence a Felony?

Yes, domestic violence can be a felony. A criminal case begins when someone reports an incident of domestic violence to law enforcement. If an arrest happens, criminal charges may be filed by the District Attorney. What is considered domestic violence? California...

How is Spousal Support Calculated?

In California, there are two types of spousal support: temporary and permanent (or long-term support).  Temporary support is support that is ordered before your final judgment of dissolution. Permanent or long-term support is ordered either at trial or through...

How Long Does It Take to Get a Divorce in CA?

If you plan to file for a divorce in the state of California, you're probably wondering how long the divorce process will take to complete. The answer to that question is—it depends. Under California family law, a couple cannot be divorced until at least six months...

JWB Family Law Adds Anne B. Howard ESQ., as a Senior Associate Attorney

JWB Family Law is expanding its team to welcome Anne B. Howard, ESQ, as a Senior Associate Attorney. Anne brings extensive expertise in family law to the team, specializing in child support, paternity, asset, and property division, and divorce. “I was drawn to the...

Custody and Successful Co-Parenting During the Pandemic

The COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc in our daily lives. Schools are closed, parents are working from home, and some have lost their jobs. Life is not what it was just a few months ago. Children are now with parents all day—every day. Parents are now responsible...

How to Deal With Domestic Violence During COVID-19

There is a growing concern amongst professionals regarding a rise in domestic abuse during the COVID-19 pandemic. In the period from March 1 through April 25, 2020, the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department logged 2,309 domestic-related calls. This is roughly a three...

JWB Family Law Continues to Serve Clients During COVID-19

Heightened anxiety and uncertainty in the world often result in significant family distress, including a surge in domestic violence incidents. As a family law practice, we need to show up for our clients now more than ever. For that reason, JWB Family Law is operating...

How Do I Change My Family Court Order and When Should I Do It?

When should you change your Family Court order?  When it no longer serves the needs of your family.   For example, if a custody order is entered when your baby girl is two years old, it may say she stays with each parent for 2 or 3 days and then trades back.  This is...

What is Family Court Services Mediation and Do I Have to Attend It?

If you are unhappy with your current custody plan, or need to create a new one, you may ask the court for assistance.  To do that, you will need to file a Request for Order with the local court. Immediately upon filing the Request, you will receive a date to attend...

How to Legally Obtain a Paternity Test

It happens.  Sometimes we do not know who the biological father of a child is.  It is important information. Paternity effects health issues, as well as the socioeconomic ones.   Enter the paternity test.  It is not like the old days of enormous expense, blood tests,...