Our San Diego family law attorneys can save you and your family time, money, and emotional energy by counseling and representing you through your family law matter in mediation.
Unlike a trial, there are no sides in mediation, only parties attempting to resolve their dispute in a healthy and collaborative manner. This process is facilitated by a mediator who is trained in dispute resolution and communication techniques.
Both parties are still represented by their attorneys, but the process is focused on issues and interests and crafting a solution that works for everyone. If mediation fails to bring about a resolution, the parties may still proceed to litigate the case in court.
There are numerous time-saving and emotional benefits. Some of the main benefits of mediation include:
- Quicker Settlements—The California courts are severely overburdened, and cases can take years to resolve. This option provides a timely way to get on with your life.
- Less Expense—Since a mediated settlement is resolved faster, it is less expensive than litigation. JWB Family Law does not charge a huge retainer for mediation but rather bills for work performed on a pay-as-you-go basis.
- Confidential Process—A court case is a public proceeding, and judicial opinions are a matter of public record. If you prefer to keep your financial affairs and the issues in your divorce private, a mediated settlement offers that level of confidentiality, which is lacking in court.
- Ownership of Results—Mediation is more personal than a court setting, and it requires more active involvement from the parties themselves. When both parties are involved and personally invested in crafting the solutions to their issues, they are more likely to adhere to the settlement versus a court-ordered one, which can require going back to court repeatedly for enforcement of court orders.
- More Control Over the Outcome—With hands-on involvement in the settlement process, you are able to fine-tune the details to best fit your needs. You also have a stronger voice in the timing and outcome of the dispute.
- Effectively Preserving or Terminating a Relationship—Ending the marital relationship can be tricky, especially when children are involved. Setting healthy boundaries and responsibilities for future interactions is often disregarded by the court. Mediation provides the means to address the relationship dynamics and allows the parties to complete the process with dignity and respect.
Understanding Family Law Mediation
Anything that can be done in court can be done in mediation. But in order to make sure everything is done correctly, you need a mediator who is also a family lawyer. Our attorneys are both. If you are interested in learning more about the advantages of a mediated settlement or requesting the services of an experienced mediator, contact JWB Family Law today to schedule an appointment. We look forward to your call.
Choosing to end a marriage is never easy. If you are considering divorce or have already made the decision to separate from your spouse, it is important to find a family law attorney who will not only be a strong advocate for your legal rights, but one who also understands—and attempts to minimize—the emotional and financial impact divorce has on you and your family.
That’s our top priority at JWB Family Law.