Domestic Violence and Children

Domestic Violence

Exposure to or witnessing of domestic violence can be extremely harmful to children. When it comes to domestic violence and children, you want to ensure that they are protected from the following actions.

(1) Seeing physical/and or sexual abuse

(2) Hearing threats or fighting noises 

(3) Observing the aftermath of physical abuse such as blood, bruises, tears, torn clothing, and broken items.

(4) Being aware of the tension in the home, such as a parent’s fearfulness when the abuser’s car pulls into the driveway.

Typical Responses from Children Exposed to Domestic Violence

Children who are exposed to domestic violence become fearful and anxious because they never know what will trigger the abuse. These children never feel safe. A child’s responses to domestic violence may include shame, sleep disturbances, sadness, depression, and anger. A child may have stomach aches, headaches, or may experience bedwetting, and loss of ability to concentrate. All can result in poor school performance and attendance. 

If you are in an abusive relationship, you can take steps to leave it. Consider obtaining a domestic violence restraining order to protect yourself and your children. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers some useful advice regarding domestic violence and children. Their FAQs offer suggestions for how to help children recover, what children may be experiencing, and how to proceed legally.

What To Do in an Emergency Domestic Violence Situation

If you or your children are in immediate danger, The San Diego County Family Court has the authority to issue emergency protective orders. They can do so if:

(1) You and/or your child are in immediate and present danger of domestic violence by a family or household member based on recent incidents of abuse

(2) Your child is in immediate and present danger of abuse or abduction by a family or household member.

A domestic violence restraining order may include the removal of the abusive party from the home and ordering him or her to stay away from you, the home, the child’s school, and your workplace. It may also prevent the abuser from molesting, attacking, striking, stalking, threatening, sexually assaulting, battering, harassing, and calling you.

A domestic violence restraining order can legally force someone who abuses you or harasses you to do the following.

  1. Leave the residence and live somewhere else
  2. Have only supervised visits with the children
  3. Pay temporary child support and spousal support and continue making mortgage payments or rental payments while you and the children stay in the home
  4. Turn over any guns to the police
  5. Submit to regular drug and alcohol testing and to attend counseling

Domestic violence and children is a very serious matter. If you need an advocate to move forward with legal proceedings, consider hiring an experienced family law attorney. They will work with you to gather evidence, collect police reports, arrest records, and documents showing charges filed against your partner. Your attorney will also prepare your case and appear in court with you to obtain a domestic violence restraining order. And, if the abuser violates the restraining orders, they will take the steps necessary to enforce the orders. 

JWB Family Law attorneys have years of experience handling domestic violence cases in San Diego. We understand the urgency of cases involving domestic violence and children, and we’re here to help.  Contact us today so we can begin working on your case and ease your mind.

Is Domestic Violence a Felony?

Yes, domestic violence can be a felony. A criminal case begins when someone reports an incident of domestic violence to law enforcement. If an arrest happens, criminal charges may be filed by the District Attorney. What is considered domestic violence? California...

How is Spousal Support Calculated?

In California, there are two types of spousal support: temporary and permanent (or long-term support).  Temporary support is support that is ordered before your final judgment of dissolution. Permanent or long-term support is ordered either at trial or through...

How Long Does It Take to Get a Divorce in CA?

If you plan to file for a divorce in the state of California, you're probably wondering how long the divorce process will take to complete. The answer to that question is—it depends. Under California family law, a couple cannot be divorced until at least six months...

JWB Family Law Adds Anne B. Howard ESQ., as a Senior Associate Attorney

JWB Family Law is expanding its team to welcome Anne B. Howard, ESQ, as a Senior Associate Attorney. Anne brings extensive expertise in family law to the team, specializing in child support, paternity, asset, and property division, and divorce. “I was drawn to the...

Custody and Successful Co-Parenting During the Pandemic

The COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc in our daily lives. Schools are closed, parents are working from home, and some have lost their jobs. Life is not what it was just a few months ago. Children are now with parents all day—every day. Parents are now responsible...

How to Deal With Domestic Violence During COVID-19

There is a growing concern amongst professionals regarding a rise in domestic abuse during the COVID-19 pandemic. In the period from March 1 through April 25, 2020, the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department logged 2,309 domestic-related calls. This is roughly a three...

JWB Family Law Continues to Serve Clients During COVID-19

Heightened anxiety and uncertainty in the world often result in significant family distress, including a surge in domestic violence incidents. As a family law practice, we need to show up for our clients now more than ever. For that reason, JWB Family Law is operating...

How Do I Change My Family Court Order and When Should I Do It?

When should you change your Family Court order?  When it no longer serves the needs of your family.   For example, if a custody order is entered when your baby girl is two years old, it may say she stays with each parent for 2 or 3 days and then trades back.  This is...

What is Family Court Services Mediation and Do I Have to Attend It?

If you are unhappy with your current custody plan, or need to create a new one, you may ask the court for assistance.  To do that, you will need to file a Request for Order with the local court. Immediately upon filing the Request, you will receive a date to attend...

How to Legally Obtain a Paternity Test

It happens.  Sometimes we do not know who the biological father of a child is.  It is important information. Paternity effects health issues, as well as the socioeconomic ones.   Enter the paternity test.  It is not like the old days of enormous expense, blood tests,...