Divorce is typically a major life change and can be a challenging time for all parties involved. The mediation process can be extremely advantageous for several reasons. Some of these include:
- Quicker resolutions: The California family law court dockets are severely overburdened, and cases can take years to resolve. Mediation provides a timelier way to get issues resolved and move forward in your life.
- Less expensive: Because a mediation can resolve your case faster than going to trial, it is less expensive than litigation. Contact our divorce mediation lawyers to understand how our rates work during the mediation process.
- Confidentiality: Court cases are public proceedings and judicial opinions are a matter of public record. Although there are protocols in court to protect the identity of minor children and other sensitive information, mediation can be more confidential. Further, communications and writings prepared for the purpose of, or during mediation, are typically not admissible at trial.
- Greater control: Parties play a more involved role in the mediation process and are free to create unique solutions that leave both parties happy with the result. Mediation is less adversarial than trial and fosters healthier communication between parties which can often result in both parties achieving greater satisfaction in the result.
- More civility: Ending a marital relationship can be tricky, especially when children are involved. Setting healthy boundaries and clear responsibilities for future interactions is a focus of mediation. Different from trial, mediation provides an opportunity to address relationship dynamics and encourages the parties to complete the process with dignity and respect.