One spouse must reside in California to file for divorce. A judgment of marriage dissolution can only be entered if one spouse has been a resident of California for six months and a resident of the county where the proceeding is filed for three months immediately preceding the filing of the petition. Actual physical delivery to the opposing party of the summons and petition for dissolution is typically required. However, there are situations where personal service is not possible and other forms of service are appropriate and acceptable.

If you or your spouse meet the residency requirements, filing and serving a petition for dissolution to get the divorce process started is typically straightforward. Our trusted military divorce attorneys are standing by for all your inquiries and to help you navigate the process.