How is Spousal Support Calculated?

Child and spousal support

In California, there are two types of spousal support: temporary and permanent (or long-term support). 

Temporary support is support that is ordered before your final judgment of dissolution. Permanent or long-term support is ordered either at trial or through agreement of the parties in a Marital Settlement Agreement. The amounts for temporary and permanent support are calculated differently, with the Court having broad discretion over permanent or long-term support payments. 

Calculating Spousal Support

Temporary Spousal Support Awards

Temporary spousal support, also referred to as pendente lite support, is calculated using a guideline that takes into account each parties’ income, tax filing status, and deductions (such as mortgage interest, health insurance payments, and mandatory retirement). 

Courts and attorneys use a program called DissoMaster to determine the guideline amounts for spousal support, and child support, payments. The goal of temporary support is to preserve the status quo in terms of the standard of living during the marriage for the supported party pending final judgment of dissolution. While the Court has discretion in setting an amount of temporary spousal support (SS) payment, most of the time a judge will order guideline support pending final judgment. 

Permanent and Long-term Spousal Support Awards

Permanent (long-term) support is calculated based on Family Code §4320 Factors, as well as the length of marriage. The Court weighs the factors set forth in this code section to determine an appropriate amount of support. 

In California, a marriage longer than 10 years is presumed to be a “long-term marriage” and puts the possibility of permanent support on the table. A marriage of less than 10 years is a short-term marriage and takes permanent support off the table in most cases. 

In a short-term marriage, it is likely the Court will set a termination date for the support. This means there will be a specific date in the judgment which indicates when support is set to terminate. The paying spouse will no longer have to pay spousal support to the recipient spouse on this date. 

Once spousal support is terminated, the Court loses jurisdiction over the issue and can never order support in that specific case again. 

Support is calculated the same way, regardless of whether it is permanent or long-term spousal support. In setting permanent or long-term support, the focus is on the marital standard of living: the goal is to allow both parties to maintain as close a lifestyle to the one enjoyed during the marriage as possible. 

The Court considers factors such as the length of the marriage, periods of unemployment for child-rearing, whether one spouse supported the other’s career to the detriment of their own career, and the skills of the support party and whether job training or continuing education is required. Additionally, the court will consider the lifestyle of the parties during the marriage. It is imperative you set forth all relevant factors and a family law attorney can assist you to make sure you do so. 

The Court has broad discretion in setting long-term or permanent support and that means there is no set way to determine what the exact amount of support will be. The Court must have a clear understanding of the Family Code §4320 factors so they can consider all relevant circumstances when setting support. These factors must then be outlined in any judgment or Marital Settlement Agreement.

Regardless of whether support is permanent or long-term, the Court wants the supported spouse to become self-supporting if no extenuating circumstances are preventing him or her from doing so. The court expects healthy people to obtain gainful employment within a reasonable period of time. In most cases, the Court considers one half the length of the marriage to be a reasonable period of time for a supported spouse to get back on their feet and obtain any training necessary to be able to support themselves. 

Can Spousal Support Be Modified?

Whether you receive or pay support, a substantial change in circumstances can be grounds to modify a support order. A change in circumstances can be loss of a job, retirement, cohabitation with a romantic partner, or an unforeseen medical issue. An attorney can help you determine whether you have grounds to seek modification of spousal support, even if you have a permanent order. 

If you have any questions regarding Spousal Support, do not hesitate to contact our attorneys at JWB Family Law.

Contact JWB Family Law Today


    Connect With Us



    San Diego Office
    1620 Fifth Avenue, Suite 600
    San Diego, CA 92101

    Phone: 619.234.6123

    Temecula Office
    43537 Ridge Park Dr, Suite 100
    Temecula, CA 92590
    Phone: 951.297.3871

    El Centro Office
    300 S Imperial Ave, #10
    El Centro, CA 92243
    Phone: 760.460.4608


    Federal Laws & Procedures Impacting Military Divorce

    Several federal laws are relevant procedurally when one or both spouses in a dissolution proceeding are members of the military. Although not every Act applies to every case, it is good practice to be aware of the federal laws and procedures that may impact your...

    A Detailed Breakdown of the Divorce Procedure

    Divorce is an emotionally challenging process that can be difficult to navigate. It’s important to understand the steps involved so that you can plan for the future and make informed decisions. We’ll explain the divorce procedure, including the legal requirements,...

    The Difference Between Contested & Uncontested Divorce

    Divorce is a significant life event that involves the legal termination of a marital union. It is a decision often accompanied by complex emotions, legal considerations, and a multitude of issues to be resolved. When pursuing a divorce and finding a divorce attorney...

    Common Mistakes to Avoid During Divorce Proceedings

    Divorce is a complex and emotionally challenging process that requires careful consideration and strategic decision-making. From navigating legal intricacies to managing the emotional turmoil, divorcing couples often find themselves overwhelmed and prone to making...

    Property Division in Divorce: What You Need to Know

    Divorce is a challenging and emotionally charged process, requiring careful consideration and resolution of various legal and financial matters. One critical aspect that often arises during divorce proceedings is property division.This encompasses a broad range of...

    How to Choose the Right Divorce Lawyer for Your Case

    Divorce is an emotionally challenging and legally complex process that marks the end of a significant chapter in one's life. When facing the dissolution of a marriage, it’s crucial to have the right legal representation by your side. A skilled and experienced divorce...

    Domestic Violence Restraining Orders

    A domestic violence restraining order is issued by the court and serves to protect someone from physical harm, continued mistreatment, or the threat of abuse. Such orders are often issued to family members or a member of the household. However, they can be filed...

    Important Information on Child Custody

    When it comes to family law, child custody is one of the most sensitive and emotionally charged issues. Deciding who will have legal and physical custody of a child can be challenging for everyone involved. It's a complicated process that requires careful...

    What You Should Know About Military Retirement Pay

    In a United States Supreme Court case, Hisquierdo v. Hisquierdo, the Court noted that federal employee deferred compensation benefits may be governed by federal law when applying conflicting state laws related to community property, so as to prevent “major damage” to...

    The Link Between Domestic Violence and Child Custody

    Domestic violence can include physical, verbal, emotional, sexual, and psychological actions. Other actions, such as threats or coercive behavior can also be considered domestic violence. Without a knowledgeable domestic violence attorney, it can sometimes be...