Custody and Successful Co-Parenting During the Pandemic

Child custody and visitation, Co-parenting divorce

The COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc in our daily lives. Schools are closed, parents are working from home, and some have lost their jobs. Life is not what it was just a few months ago.

Children are now with parents all day—every day. Parents are now responsible for their children’s educational needs, entertainment, and overall well-being.

These things are tough enough when there are two parents in the same house, but there are many cases where children divide their time between two parents and two homes.

Successful Co-Parenting With Custody Orders 

Divorced parents may have existing joint custody and visitation orders in place, or no orders are placed and the separated parties co-parent by verbal agreement. In most cases, the best interests of the children are to spend time with both parents and for both parents to share parenting responsibilities.

People often ask whether their custody order is enforceable given the current stay at home orders. The short answer is—yes. The reality is some parents are refusing to abide by custody orders by using COVID-19 restrictions to avoid sharing the children with the other parent.

Verbal Custody Agreements

Some parents have reached verbal agreements through successful co-parenting on how the children will be shared during this pandemic.

But what happens when the stay at home orders are no longer in effect? Is there an agreement to return to the court ordered parenting plan? Have you not been able to see your children because the other parent has withheld them from you during this time? What remedies, if any, do you have? Can you go to court to enforce the existing order?

If you have an existing custody/visitation order or parenting strategy and you and the other parent have agreed to change it to accommodate the COVID-19 restrictions, you should:

  1. Make sure any agreements which change the terms and conditions of the court order are in writing. It is worth the time and effort to memorialize any changes both parties have made during this time. Specify both parties agree to abide by the original court order once it is safe to do so.
  2. You should have the agreement reviewed by an attorney to ensure it is complete and ready to file with the court once the court re-opens May 26, 2020. If you do not have an attorney, you should still memorialize the agreement and file it with the court. 

If the other parent is not abiding by the court order, you should:

  1.  Keep a log of each time you have been refused contact with your children, either in person or on the phone. Keeping track of all violations will make it easier to prepare a declaration for the court if you decide to seek court intervention to enforce the order.

Relief Is Available Upon Request

The San Diego Superior Court Family Law Division deals with custody visitation issues on an emergency basis despite being closed for other matters. If you believe your situation is a true emergency, you can go to court and ask for emergency relief. 

JWB Family Law remains open and available to answer your questions and concerns about custody and visitation issues, the enforceability of current court orders, or establishing an enforceable order. 

If you have concerns about your children, your current order, or any other questions about family law, call for a 30-minute consultation. You can connect with us via phone and video access, such as Zoom. Our attorneys and staff are here to help you through this uncertain time and help you obtain the relief you need.

JWB Family Law Adds Anne B. Howard ESQ., as a Senior Associate Attorney

JWB Family Law is expanding its team to welcome Anne B. Howard, ESQ, as a Senior Associate Attorney. Anne brings extensive expertise in family law to the team, specializing in child support, paternity, asset, and property division, and divorce. “I was drawn to the...

Custody and Successful Co-Parenting During the Pandemic

The COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc in our daily lives. Schools are closed, parents are working from home, and some have lost their jobs. Life is not what it was just a few months ago. Children are now with parents all day—every day. Parents are now responsible...

How to Deal With Domestic Violence During COVID-19

There is a growing concern amongst professionals regarding a rise in domestic abuse during the COVID-19 pandemic. In the period from March 1 through April 25, 2020, the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department logged 2,309 domestic-related calls. This is roughly a three...

JWB Family Law Continues to Serve Clients During COVID-19

Heightened anxiety and uncertainty in the world often result in significant family distress, including a surge in domestic violence incidents. As a family law practice, we need to show up for our clients now more than ever. For that reason, JWB Family Law is operating...

How Do I Change My Family Court Order and When Should I Do It?

When should you change your Family Court order?  When it no longer serves the needs of your family.   For example, if a custody order is entered when your baby girl is two years old, it may say she stays with each parent for 2 or 3 days and then trades back.  This is...

What is Family Court Services Mediation and Do I Have to Attend It?

If you are unhappy with your current custody plan, or need to create a new one, you may ask the court for assistance.  To do that, you will need to file a Request for Order with the local court. Immediately upon filing the Request, you will receive a date to attend...

How to Legally Obtain a Paternity Test

It happens.  Sometimes we do not know who the biological father of a child is.  It is important information. Paternity effects health issues, as well as the socioeconomic ones.   Enter the paternity test.  It is not like the old days of enormous expense, blood tests,...

JWB Family Law Adds Carmen E. Ramos, CFLS, as a Senior Associate Attorney

JWB Family Law is expanding its team to welcome Carmen E. Ramos, CFLS, as a Senior Associate Attorney. Carmen joins the JWB Family Law legal team to help the firm in all aspects of family law: divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support, and property...

The Basics of Filing for Divorce in San Diego

To begin the process of filing for divorce in San Diego County, you will need to file a Summons (FL-110), and a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage (FL-100). If you have children, you will also need to file a Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction...

Custody Rights: Prepare for Mediation with Family Court Services

If you are involved in a family court case in San Diego County and there are issues of child custody rights and visitation, at some point you will need to attend court-ordered mediation with Family Court Services. This usually takes place prior to any court hearing on...